Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I'm starting an AFL team

Okay, that's not exactly true.  But I did get to go to the launch event of a new AFL team.  I know, right?!  How does that even happen??

My company has been involved with the community in the Western Suburbs of Sydney and became involved in a partnership/sponsorship of this new AFL team.  That being said, the event sort came up last minute and they needed people to go so about five of us from the office were able to make it work on such short notice.


Luckily my first weekend in Sydney I went to an AFL game with my husband, so I at least know a little bit about the game.  I'm no expert by any means, but I actually enjoyed the AFL game (more so than the NRL game we went to) and get the basics of the rules.

The event was at the Olympic Park with several hundred people in attendance.  They broke up the event into 'quarters' as they lead up to the big reveal of the team, the jerseys, and drumroll.... the team name.





The biggest to do about the event is that some young, big deal player who was playing in the NRL had signed with the new team and was at the event that night.  I of course have no idea who this person really is, but when I was on the plane to Melbourne for work the next day, the sports page was plastered with his picture and a full page article about the new team - The Greater Westerns Sydney Giants.  There was a big to do about the name, because apparently 'Giants' is a very "American" team name.  I don't think so, but I guess they do have a team here called the 'Magpies'.... yeah.  We'll just leave it at that.

I wasn't able to get a picture of Isreal (the big deal former NRL player) but I did get him to sign a poster for my husband.  Pretty cool, right?!  Hey, at a minimum it'll be great decoration for the man cave one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment