Saturday, October 30, 2010

My First Trip to Bundy

Bundaberg Rum is to Australia what Budweiser was to America (until the whole InBev thing at least).  To call it an iconic brand here almost doesn't do it justice.  The distillery was built in 1888 and the rest is Aussie history.  It's especially popular in Queensland where the town of Bundaberg is.

Bundy (I told you everything is shortened to end in a y or ie) is only really sold in Australia, so it's quite exciting as a visitor to finally get to go to the infamous distillery.  My team is doing quite a bit of work with the team in Bundy, so it made sense to take a trip up to meet the team in person.

First of all...everything is far here!  I don't know if the map is just deceiving or if it's because in the US there are so many more towns in between, but it was a lot farther than I thought it was going to be.  I flew from Sydney to Brisbane, then Brisbane to Bundaberg.  Bundy is a smaller town so its a regional jet when flying in from Brisbane.  Over three hours later, I finally arrived at the distillery.

Queensland is north of New South Wales and thus was a lot warmer.  It was much more tropical than I expected and several degrees warmer than when I left Sydney that morning.  (Degrees C, so several degrees actually makes a big difference).  Bundy is quite a popular tourist attraction - there are several public tours daily and also a bondstore that sells products and branded wear.

One of the most fun things about the distillery is the giant bottle of Bundaberg Rum outside of the main building.  It's one of those things that everyone wants to see and get their picture with.  So of course....


After a long hard day's work, I headed to the hotel - which was... at the beach!!  How awesome is that!  Are you kidding me?  It can't really be work when your hotel is a beach resort, right?!  It was quite a nice end of the day to get checked in to the hotel, then head for a walk along the beach.

The hotel was across the street from the beach

As we get closer and closer to summer, I keep trying to strategically plan my next trip to the beach...I mean, Bundy.... for work...

No comments:

Post a Comment