Thursday, November 24, 2011

Homecoming

When I think of Homecoming, I think of the big, traditional, American homecoming festivities.  The high school dance, big football game with the weakest team in the conference so you can guarantee a win, basically a big rigamarole.  Is that what I expected when I landed back on American soil?!  I'm not going to answer that.  But...maybe.

The last few weeks before I was coming home I joked with Chris to make sure he made all of the proper arrangements at O'Hare  - wind machine, all employees and passersby briefed on moving in slow motion when he and I first see each other, you know - the usual.

There was no wind machine and apparently the airport employees are busy screening people and doing their jobs instead of starting a slow clap, but it was still an unforgettable moment.  My vocabulary is not nearly vast enough to explain the emotions I felt coming down the escalator and seeing my husband for the first time in weeks... and knowing I'd get to see him every day until forever.  Priceless.

The first few days back were a whirlwind.  Not only did I get to come back to my hubby, but my awesome hubby closed on our house while I was still in Australia and bought me a new car.  Life is good!!!  I gorged myself on all things Americana - Mexican food (obvs), good chocolate, pop culture (what's going on with Blair and Serena?!), and lots and lots of college basketball.  I also started to mentally prepare myself for all of the questions I'd get in the office:

"Did you see any kangaroos?" - No.
"Did you get an accent?" - I'm not Madonna.  You don't lose an accent in six months.
"G'day mate!" - Yeah, that's original and not annoying at all
"Put another shrimp on the barbie!" - Again original, and they call them prawns, by the way
"Did you go to the Outback?" - No.  Noone goes there but tourists - everything there can kill you

It was such an interesting situation.  All things were shiny and new in my personal life - coming back to my new hubby, new house and new car; and yet I was going back to the same office and the same desk I've sat at for the past seven years.  Granted, I barely recognized any of the faces in the office, and it had quite a different feel from when I was last working there, but my desk was still my same old desk.

This is it.  I'm back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment